Voices and Rituals
Part 4
by Taffy

4.

“Help me.”

Pouncival looked up from where he was playing as a mysterious feminine feline voice carried softly on the wind. “Huh?”

“Help me.”

Tumblebrutus also looked around himself. “What was that?” he asked Pouncival.

“I dunno. Hey, you guys here it, too?” Pouncival asked the other toms.

“I heard something,” Admetus said. Mistoffelees was looking around for the source of the voice.

“Help me.”

“That’s it, I’m gonna go see what’s making all that noise.” Pouncival got up and headed for the north end of the yard.

“Pouncival, I think it’s over there,” Tumblebrutus said as he pointed south.

“No, I know it’s over here,” Pouncival argued back. While the brothers argued, Admetus walked over to where the voice seemed to be the strongest.

“Help me,” it cried. The owner of the voice was definitely coming from over here.

“Where are you?” Admetus asked quietly.

“Come closer. Help me.”

Admetus did as the voice instructed him to do and stared into a pair of large olive-green eyes.

“Who are you?” Admetus asked.

“You must help me. Come quickly.” The voice was urgent.

“I don’t even know your name. Hold on, let me find Munkustrap. He’ll help.”

“No,” the voice protested a little too loudly. “I mean, there is no time, we must hurry.”

“Why?”

“Hey, Admetus, who’re you talkin’ to?” Cassandra sneaked up behind Admetus.

“Um,” Admetus looked at the eyes, which blended into the shadows, making them difficult to see. “Some cat over here needs help, but I can’t see her anymore.”

“Maybe she left?” Cassandra suggested.

“No, that doesn’t-” Admetus was cut off by the voice again.

“Help me, Admetus. Please.”

Admetus took a step back. “How does she know my name?”

“I was about to ask you the same thing,” Cassandra said. “I’m going to go find someone who can offer assistance to the situation at hand.”

“Yes, Cassandra, go find help.” The voice was urgent, as if it was trying to make Cassandra leave. “Admetus will take care of everything.”

Cassandra, shifting into a skeptical attitude, let out a small laugh. “’Admetus will take care of everything?’ I’ll believe that when I see it. Look, uh, Voice, you just stay put, and we’ll be back in a few.”

“No,” the voice sounded angry. The mysterious Queen edged into the light, her green eyes glowing. “You will leave Admetus here, and you will go away.” The utterance became very agitated and appeared to have a strange effect on Cassandra. “Go away, Cassandra. Go away, and leave Admetus.”

Cassandra’s eyes looked glazed and stared eerily. When she spoke she sounded hollow and robotic. “I’m going to go now, Admetus. You help Voice.” She turned around, very mechanically, and left.

Admetus watched her go, not sure what to do. “Uh, Cassie?” he called after her.

“She’s gone, Admetus. Please help me.”

Admetus was confused. “How? What do you need me to do?”

The young tom was sure he saw a smile deep within the shadows. “Follow me.”

“I’m not so sure…” Admetus said as he looked after Cassandra.

The eyes began glowing again. “Follow me,” she said. Admetus, under the effect of whatever spell she cast upon him, obeyed.


Part 5
Back to the Fanfiction
Come Home