The Good Kitty by Leri Macavity cowered in the shadows. He had been waiting for two hours, and each passing minute increased the tension of his nerves tenfold. A few spots of blood still adorned his paws along with a few orange hairs, all that was now left of the Railway Cat. The Hidden Paw sighed and massaged his temples. He was getting too old for this -- he had felt so guilty about Skimbleshanks. Pangs of shame attacked the part of him that could charitably be called his conscience, that was usually so unshockable. But when given a choice between carrying on with his life of dark deeds, or telling Her that he wanted to give it all up and retire...well, he`d prefer to keep all limbs and vital organs intact, thank you so very much. A snapping twig behind a tree made him whirl around, his heart beating in his chest. Darting eyes revealed nothing but a fox, too full and sleepy to bother chasing after a cat. Macavity hissed at it ut of principle, then relaxed. Maybe she wouldn`t turn up. Maybe he could go home and forget about this, make plans to run away where he couldn`t be found... "Good evening," a cold female voice assailed his ears. Macavity accurately judged the direction She was in, and cringed before Her. "Your servant, ma'am." "Get up. You look ridiculous grovelling like that." If he hadn't cowered before Her, Macavity reflected, She would have told him to get down on his knees and beg for his life. And he would have done. The Napolean of Crime was scared to death of Her. "It is done?" "It is done." "Correctly?" "Correctly." Macavity held his breath, during the long pause. "Good. That is adequate. I have another one for you." "But, ma'am, soon there will be no Jellicles left..." "Did I ask for your opinion?" The pleasant tones sliced through the air like a white-hot whip. Macavity flinched. "No ma'am." "It is not a Jellicle. It is one of your own. Mungojerrie." Macavity gasped. "But...Mungojerrie is one of the best, ma'am, he does so much for you..." "He is getting a conscience." "With respect, ma'am, even so..." "You are getting very vocal, Macavity," the slow drawl belied the speaker`s menace. "Is this going to become a regular thing?" "No, ma'am." "Good. Do it soon." "Yes, ma'am." Macavity scurried away, glad to get away with his life. Jemima stepped out of the shadows and smiled her happy, innocent smile, before heading back to the Junkyard.