Betrayal of Need By Alliecallienip He was angry. She could see it in the lines of his face. His jaw was tensed. His green eyes were clouded over with anger. His ears lay flat against his head. He moved stiffly, avoiding her. She knew that she had to find him and set things straight again - tell him that she really loved him, and no other. The Jellicle Ball had ended. Old Deuteronomy chose Gus to go to the Heaviside Layer. She smiled as she remembered the look of rapture on the old cat's face when he had gazed up into that heavenly light. That perfect moment was spoiled only by the thought of him, and his anger. She watched as all of her queen-friends left with their toms, keeping up a cheerful front all the while. No one could tell that she was upset - no one but him. She wanted to cry out for them not to leave her, not alone with him! But she held her tongue. It was her problem - hers and his. Not theirs. Once the last couple had gone, she turned to face him, frightened but determined. He stood with his back towards her, clenching and unclenching his fist slowly. She tentatively reached out to set a paw on his shoulder. "I'm sorry," she murmured hesitantly. With a sudden snarl he whirled. She leaped back, frightened of the horrible anger she saw in his eye. "I am your mate! *I*!" he shouted, his voice echoing thruout the dim morning light. "And yet you - you - " He halted his words, too furious to continue. She began weeping softly, her tars wetting the soft fur covering her face. Ignoring her distress, he began to pace in a tight circle. "You betrayed me. I want to know why." Between sobs she managed to choke out, "I - I don't know. Please, believe me... you're the only one I love!" He snarled, "I wish I *could* believe you." With a low growl, he turned and slapped her. She let out a sharp cry, reaching up to lightly touch her cheek. A few drops of blood appeared, staining her fur crimson. "That'll teach you not to fool around with other toms." She cowered, her sobs growing heavier with every breath. He turned his back on her, stalking away. They would sleep alone, tonight. She called out in fear, "Please! Don't leave me - " For along with a fear of him, was need. It wasn't want as much as need - wasn't love as much as fear - he owned her. She couldn't survive without him - he was her master. She need him. And she hated him for it. But she couldn't leave, and he knew it. He hesitated, only for a moment. The first real sunrays of the day began shining into the Junkyard as he turned, saying icily, "Go back to him, Jenny. Go back to your precious Bustopher Jones." "Skimbleshanks," she whispered, letting her eyes close as the realization set in that he was setting her free. But he was gone.